Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dante's Guide to Cybersex--Part II: Descriptive Writing

This is part II in a series of indeterminable length about cybersex. I'm writing it after having found very scant electronic resources discussing cybersex in a positive light, and fewer still talking about the nitty gritty and the nuances of this form of writing. (Oh, and I'm also being spurred on by encouragement and links from "Talking Dirty" and "Sexeteria". Thanks Katie & Sylvia Miss Syl for linking to Part I!)

There are some web pages that talk about cybersex in context of a cultural phenomenon, some that abhor the vices that accompany easily attainable pseudosex. And their commentaries are perfectly valid, but they leave open the entire nitche of "how" to have cybersex. "So what?" you ask. There are plenty of electronic "how-to" pages available with advice on writing erotica, using phone-text message shortcuts, drafting a dom/sub contract, correctly using trivial grammar rules, practicing ethical polyamory, and having good (or preferably great) sex. But there's very few places to find any hits as to the norms and expectations of cybersex. Mock it if you will, but in skilled hands I feel it's a fun, albeit lower class form of shared erotica, and that it is an art form that will eventually see its heyday. But back to task, as I stand before you not to praise cybersex, but to dissect it. Here goes, class:

Today, we will look at description in cybersex. Obviously since our medium is text it is important to use descriptive writing to appeal to the senses as in "higher" forms of erotica. But particularly in cybersex it can be a double edged sword in the wrong hand. So here are some rules, concepts, and things to bear in mind while "typing" the "virtual" pants off the "alledged" ladies:

1) A line should never be purely descriptive. You need to be in every sentence, and you need to do something, even if it's just a reaction. That way your partner will be able to react in turn, and so on. So never just write: I'm wearing a beer stained t-shirt, sweatpants, and white tube socks. Instead write: From my spot on the couch, I roll my t-shirt and sweatpants clad bod onto my side, to see if you're back with my Cheetos." Okay, don't write that either.

2) Don't tell; show. Obvious rule for any form of writing, but it's an important one not to forget. You should never use the word "69" for example. Instead, describe where your mouth is, where your partners is, and how they got there. And probably not all in one sentence; build your way there. Same goes for "sex", "bondage", "spanking", "orgasm", or any noun that's better replaced by the descriptive verbs that build up the concept.

3) Less is more. I know, my blog tends to ramble, so I'm one to talk, but being concise is somewhat key. A comma filled list of adjectives only tends to slow and clutter communication.

4) Make descriptions match your partner's fantasy. Guys, this means don't whip out a 10" penis. That's your fantasy, not hers, and frankly your candidness is embarrassing. Women on the other hand, feel free to give us an oversized dick. In fact, the more you describe about yourself, simply guessing at your partner's fantasies, the less you will conform to your fantasies. If you tell just tell a guy you're taking your bra off, by default (in his mind) your breasts and nipples will be the "right" size.

5) Don't skimp on the decor. It's a good way to start early on, by setting the scenery you can set the game--be it romantic, erotic, BDSM, role-playing, or something else. It can also be a way to position props you want your partner to use. By alluding to a dewy meadow, a sturdy oak headboard, a hottub, a jungle gym, candles, shag carpeting, bucket seats, a vat of pudding, etc. Again, even in a sentence mostly describing the scene, put yourself in it. Example: I pass the rows of desks toward the blackboard near where you're at your large desk grading papers and I tremble realizing you've already taken 'the board of education' off the wall behind you, trumps In a classroom with rows of desks and a blackboard you're sitting at your desk with a large paddle in hand. Agreed?

6) Describe your reaction. A low level film trick is when someone is delivering a line, the camera will often be on the other person, capturing their reaction. You should never just type: I'm so turned on or any common variation. That may fly in phonesex, where good delivery can bolster poor dialog, but not here. Give yourself facial expressions, pants and moans, bite your own lip, tug against your restraints, or do anything else to show appreciation. This is also a good cop-out for not having anything to add to the story.

7) Mind your language. You probably think this is only a guy warning, but I've had a woman (ex-girlfriend even) who, although she'd never begun to talk dirty in bed, had no problem during cybersex referring to the critter between her legs (really virtually anything would work better here) as her "cunt." "Oh really?" I wanted to respond, "And what did it ever do to you to make you speak so ill of it." (And don't even though you could cite Vagina Monologues and tell me that the word's now part of female empowerment. I know the lady, and god help her she ain't that bright or empowered.) Anyway, just because your partner's willing/wanting cybersex doesn't mean they're turned on by shear vulgarities. As a rule of thumb, try to mirror the coarseness of your partners language and err on the safe side--alright, especially if you're a guy.

That's all for now, class. For homework read the following pages and be prepared to discuss improvements that could have been made for each cybersex session.

11 comments:

Miss Syl said...

Hi Dante,

Some really good tips here. Though when it comes to using the "c" word, I'd much prefer my nether-regions being called "cunt" than "critter!" ;-)

I think the point of matching and respecting your partner's preference for how intense they want the "dirty" talk to get is good advice for not only cyber sex, but also phone and real sex. Saying the wrong thing can really put cold water on a good session. But, I have to say I think when used appropriately, the "c" word should not be thought of as crude or negative. And I'm not saying that because of the Vagina Monologues (though I don't have as bad a reaction to that show's writer as it sound like you do).

Hm, I'll have to think about this more and maybe write my thoughts down into something longer on my blog...

Thanks for the inspiration.

d.

Dante Hunter said...

Did I really write "critter"? Okay, I promise I'll reread my 3 am bloggings once during the day before actually posting them. No, I liked Vagina Monologues fine and thought that part was well done. I'm just saying that the particular girl I was talking wasn't likely to make such a cultural reference, she was just thinking, "this should be dirty, thus erotic." (She was dumb; I've stopped dating such people.) I'm not saying that the c-word must always be crude or unacceptably taboo even though I tend to bristle a bit at its use. So the point was that just because it's a "dirty" word doesn't mean that it enhances the scene. Of course everyone has different reactions to different language. Thanks for coming back. Send your friends.

--Dante

Miss Syl said...

Yes, I've been meaning to set up a link to you on my blogroll but I've just been overwhelmed this week. Will do soon.

I see my finger slipped and I typed the "d" key rather than "s" at the end of my response--oops. But it does remind me that I meant to say sweetly that it's sylvie, not sylvia, like you said in your post. :)

though for my blogging "persona," it's really Miss Syl. Sort of a punk nickname, y'know? (say both quickly together)

Katie said...

"You should never just type: I'm so turned on or any common variation. That may fly in phonesex, where good delivery can bolster poor dialog, but not here."

You caught me! In all seriousness, it's true, things that would look incredibly banal when typed can sound pretty sexy on the phone.

Moaning when you're stuck can be a good cop-out in phone sex, too, unless they asked a regular question in the middle of a sex scene, and their cell crackled in the middle. Then they get really pissed off and think I wasn't paying attention.

Thanks for continuing the series, Dante.

Nobilis Reed said...

On the "C-word" issue...

A good list of synonyms would be very helpful. A descriptive, polite, precise word is hard to come by. Medical terms are too clinical, slang words are generally too deprecatory, and polite words are too imprecise.

Desireous said...

Very interesting and well thought out with many good ideas but I don't agree with all of it and it might frighten people away from the idea because you've just complicated a very simple idea.

As far as vulgarities you may not like those types of words but many do. In fact, the key to good any kind of sex is listening to your partner and getting a feel for what turns them on. When you can do that you give good sex. It's really about enjoying yourself and having the other person enjoy his/herself as well. Too many rules complicate things.

Hugs
Des

Dee Jour said...

As a post 'cyber' person, I think it all depends on who one is chatting to, level of relationship and so on. Really, for those who are just seeking instant gratification, what does it matter whether someone says 'cunt' instead of 'pussy' or vagina?

As for a couple who are living some distance apart,for whatever reason, who do know of each other prior to the cyber, then no rules essentially apply because they're aware of each other's turn ons.

And that pretty much leaves those who are essentially strangers on teh web who cyber and rely on that for the 'sex', and yeah, can they really be classified as 'partners'?

Who are we kidding here?

When I first tweaked onto the idea some years ago, I didn't have to really mind my p's and q's and I was chatting on various rooms, all around the world, no guy minded if I used the word 'cunt' or whatever, simply because they were there to 'get off'.

People don't 'say' anyting in a chat room, they 'type' it and that's the difference right there and less problems would exist if people realized this first and not attempt to 'fuse' a 3D relationship with a virtual one. This way, at least a balanced view can be expressed rather than the sugar coated view of something, simply because it exists for sexual gratification.

There are cons, just as there are cons in cyber sex.

I'm sorry, but I largely don't agree with the points made regarding cyber, simply because it's one of the most superficial sexual mediums, fantasy overrules 'etiquette' and I say that only because I've fully immersed myself in it at one point, on some occasions its spilled into phone, and 'real' meets and no, cyber cannot compare and more often then not, was a prelude to disappointment more than anything else.

Dee Jour said...

*cons = pros

(pros and cons in cyber)

Dante Hunter said...

Hey folks stopping by from Sugasm. Glad you came, and I appreciate the comments. I'm loving that everyone seems to be taking my post really seriously, cause I assure you I didn't take it seriously at all when I wrote it. Anyway, a few comments on comments:

1) There's nothing wrong with the word "cunt"--at all. I don't tend to use it much, but it's a fine word. But my point was that there's also not necessarily anything inherently sexy about the word either. So my point wasn't that you should self-censure yourself, but that you shouldn't rely on dirty words to do your work.

2) I know that cybersex is a lower form of writing than any other form of erotica. It was because it's such a bastardized form of writing that I thought it deserved some lauding and direction. Granted, most of the guys simply trolling chatrooms for cyber don't care what is written to them or what words you use or if anythings spelled correctly. But if guys were to do a bit better job writing well during cyber than maybe everyone wouldn't hold the low opinion of it that they do.

3) I know no one needs rules for cybersex. And that pledging yourself to concrete rules limits the range of the experience. But just like advice for cunnilingus or blow jobs a basic game plan and a foundation doesn't hurt. Like remember when in 8th grade they taught you 1000 times how to write a 5 paragraph essay? It's not because the best writing is all 5 paragraphs, or that it's the only acceptable way to write an essay, it's because once you can turn out a 5 paragraph essay like clockwork you realize writing's not so intimidating and then they can teach you to be creative.

Maybe I'll have to elaborate should I venture into a part III.

Thanks again for reading and writing back.

--Dante

Anonymous said...

craigslist woman seeking man

Anonymous said...

craigslist woman seeking man